Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Huka Falls - North Island New Zealand



When I first came to New Zealand, Huka Falls was a tourist attraction drawing gawping crowds. Of course I was one of the gawping crowds but in my own little mind I was different because I was looking at the spectacular not as something to fill up my Cannon but as something to add to my quiver of kayaking experiences.
Guides and locals would tell stories of people who had perished falling into the 100m long cataract which ends in a 10 m fall. When I asked if anyone had paddled it, they all shook their heads knowingly , ‘Quite clearly that’s illegal and just silly’ or ‘No, no, that would be impossible. Although a lady who tried to commit suicide here was dragged so deep on the final falls by her dress that she survived the terrible tow back’.
Maybe that’s the future? Kayaking in dresses?
Well maybe not, but a lot has changed in the times since my first visit, where I walked away from the falls to come back later. Boats are better, Kayakers are better and I have more experience. And somewhat annoyingly it has become the backyard run for my little brother who kayaks it regularly. So after holding his wedding there temptation was too much and Huka transcended tourist attraction for me, - ORSM!



No comments:

Post a Comment